From house burglars to strange visitors, there are more reasons to monitor what happens at your front door. If you are my type that likes knowing the person at the door without opening it, skybell HD is all you need.
A skybell is a smart video doorbell that allows you to see, hear, and also talk with your visitor even when you are not at home.
It is the eyes of the smart home that offer special protection you can trust. Skybell comes with some beautiful features that can help safeguard your homes. Keep on reading to learn more.
Reasons we recommend skybell hd
After using and reviewing the video bell, I discovered some quality features that make me recommend it to you. They include:
High-quality video camera
This doorbell comes with a high definition video camera that allows you to see your visitor for up to 1080p minutes.
It also allows you to zoom the video by five times the original size.
Colour night vision
Whether we are in the day or night time, the image colour remains the same.
The smart bell captures and displays the image the exact way it is even when the porch light is off.
Skybell captures and also signals the user each time a visitor is at the door without even pressing the push button.
Two way audio
This doorbell allows you to have a full time mobile conversation with your visitor, no matter where you are.
If your doorbell is stolen, the company will replace it free of charge.
Other beautiful features of the doorbell include:
- Free video recording which you can watch or download anytime, for reference.
- Allows multiple users to receive notification alerts
- A quiet mode that permits you to turn off your doorbell chimes from the app, so it won’t wake a baby.
- Capture a picture of your visitor when they press the push button.
- Cloud storage for your reference.
How the Skybell works
The working principle of skybell is like that of a ring video doorbell.
When a visitor presses the push button, everyone connected to the doorbell gets a signal that someone is at the door. If you accept the signal, the video camera sends live video coverage to your smartphone so you can see and speak with the person.
Skybell installation guide
The installation is like that of a ring video doorbell. The only difference is that skybells can only be installed on a wired doorbell system, while ring doorbells can be on wired and wireless systems.
Below are the steps to install the video doorbell.
Turn off the power source
While all doorbells use 18 gauge wires, and small voltage of about 16 to 24 volts which can hardly shock someone, it is always advisable to turn off power from your circuit breaker to clear all doubts.
Remove the existing doorbell
For this doorbell to work as designed by the producer, it is recommended that you install it on an existing wired system.
Remove the existing doorbell and leave the wires exposed to make way for the installation.
Install the mounting plate
Once you have removed the old bell and push button, install the mounting plate of the skybell at the wall or front door where you want to install the ball.
Use a screwdriver or power drill and tighten the plate on the wall.
Connect the wires
The doorbell plate comes with two screw terminals where you can connect the bell wire.
Loosen the screws, insert the wires and tighten it firmly.
- Pull the wires via the centre of the plate and tighten the plate firmly to the wall or door.
- Lose the two screws on the left side of the plate and wrap the wires, one per each screw.
Attach the smart bell on the plate
Once you are through with the wire connection, mount the skybell on the plate and make sure it fits in well.
Tighten the screws and test-run your smart bell.
App download and set up.
Once you are through with the installation, download the sky app into your mobile device. Go to the app store for iPhone users or google play store for android users and download the app.
Install it, sign up, enter your email, password, name, and then tap the sign up button. Click on ‘add a new skybell’ and also tap on ‘ok let’s begin’ at the button.
Make sure your doorbell unit is flashing red and green. Else, you follow the instructions on the screen. But if everything is ok, tap the next button.
Minimize the app and go to settings. Select Wi-Fi if you are an iPhone user or Wi-Fi home network if you are using Android. Press the next button and enter your Wi-Fi password and continue, and that’s it.
Skybell led guide
The led colour of skybell shows the status of the bell. Below are the unique colours and their meanings.
- Red / Green (alternating flash): Wi-Fi access point mode
- Blue / Green (alternating flash): Connected to Wi-Fi, waiting for server connection.
- Red / Blue (alternating flash): Battery is charging, please wait
- Blue / Yellow (alternating flash): Firmware update in progress, please wait.
- Yellow (rapid flash): Factory reset
- Blue (rapid flash): Power cycle
- Orange (rapid flash): No Wi-Fi connectivity
- Red (rapid flash): Power supply issue
- Green (rapid flash): Entering troubleshooting mode
- Yellow (solid): Starting up
- Green (solid): Ready and working fine.
- White (solid): In call mode.
When your doorbell goes offline, check the led light colour to find out the status of the device.
If it is fully connected, the colour should be solid green, or the colour chosen by the user.
If your smart bell is offline in your app or not working properly, follow these steps to revive the doorbell.
- Check the power source to make sure it is ok. Go through the plate to see if there is any push in or wrapping that is causing the problem. You can also test your transformer using a voltage meter to find out the cause.
- Make sure that your Wi-Fi network is working fine
- Make sure that your sky app version is up to date or you update it.
- Restart your video bell
- Check your wireless interference
- Restart your router/modem.
- Check your bandwidth.