With the increase in the number of burglars and porch pirates, you have no reason to joke with home security. As for monitoring the events at your front door, even when away, the Ring video doorbell has been our favorite.
The ring is an internet-connected smart bell that signals the smartphone of the user when a visitor pushes the bell button. It also has a motion detector that records all the movement at your frontage and also allows you to speak with the visitor.
How ring works
The ring connects to the Wi-Fi network in your house to signal your smartphone when somebody is at your door.
It has a free app that you can install on your phone to watch the HD video of the person at your front door and also speak to them using an intercom system.
It also has a motion sensor and a cloud storage system for reference. The smart bell operates with battery, but you can still connect it to a wired doorbell system.
Need a ring doorbell? buy it here at Amazon
Features of the doorbell ringer
If you’re considering the Ring Video Doorbell, here are their features.
- 720p Resolution image: To see who’s at your front door before you open it.
- Motion detector: This records what is happening within your environment. Visitors don’t need to ring the bell before it records.
- Mobile Alerts: This doorbell has a wireless app you can install on your mobile phone to receive signals when someone is at your door entry.
- Night vision: It watches your home even in the dark.
- Live view and two-way audio (intercom system): This allows you to talk with your visitors before you open the door and even when you are not at home.
- Rechargeable battery and hard-wired. The doorbell system has an inbuilt battery, but you can also install it in an existing doorbell wiring.
Whether you are replacing an existing one with a Ring video doorbell or installing a new one, we have a guide for you.
Here are the steps to install the security camera in your new home.
1. Download the ring app and configure it.
Unlike other smart bells you install before the app setup, the ring is different. You can install the app first and then set up the bell using the app.
To download the app on your phone, move over to the Google Play Store and search for the ‘ring app’. Download, install, and set it up.
After installation, create your own account by entering your first and last name. Add your email and your unique password and also select the ring device you are setting up.
Note! Rings have six video bells on the market as of now, and they include:
- Ring Peephole Cam
- Ring video doorbell 3
- Original Ring Video doorbell
- Ring video doorbell pro
- Ring video doorbell elite
- The ring Video Doorbell 3 plus
So make sure you select the ring video doorbell you are about to install. Give it a name by choosing one from the list, or by clicking on custom to add your preferred name and address.
Move on to your app settings and ON the Wi-Fi network for iPhone users, or skip the steps if you’re using Android.
Once you are connected, go to your ring app and choose your home Wi-Fi network from the list and add your password. After a few minutes, your doorbell ringer will connect to your Wi-Fi network.
After connecting, you may add any family member you wish to share access to by entering their email so they can get an invitation link.
The ring video doorbell comes with a 30-day free trial of cloud storage to save all recorded videos in about six months. After the trial, the storage costs $3 per month or $30 per year. Else, it will only allow a live view of the camera.
2. Install the doorbell ringer
Installing the doorbell is easy. All you need to do is to lose out the mounting plate and place it on your wall or front door. Use the included level to make sure it is firm.
Using a driller, drill four holes on the sides of the plate to grip it on the wall.
Attach the push button and tighten their screw using the included screwdriver.
Locate one socket in your room and plug in the door chime. Connect it to the ring app so you can get notifications directly into your phone. That’s all.
How to replace a wired doorbell with a ring smart bell
Replacing a wired bell with a ring is easy. Here are the steps to follow.
- Switch off the power source from your circuit breaker and remove the existing doorbell buttons.
- Mount the bracket on the wall or front door, letting the wires pass through the middle.
- Level the bracket with the included level.
- Using drillers, drill holes by the four edges, insert your screw and tighten it firmly.
- Remove the level and connect the wires to the screw in the bracket. The order of connection is unnecessary, just make sure they are not touching.
- Install the included diode if your doorbell is digital.
Not sure if your doorbell is digital or mechanical? Listen to the sound. If it makes the traditional ‘Ding-Dong’ sound, it is probably a mechanical bell and doesn’t need a diode.
You can also remove the cover of your bell and check. If it contains a mechanical striker, it’s mechanical. But if it contains a speaker that plays the sound, it is a digital bell and you must install the diode.
Installing the diode is easy, and the sound will tell you when it is right.
How long does it take for the battery to charge?
Depending on the charger, amp 2.1 charges the battery fully within 4-5 hours. Meanwhile, 1 amp charger will complete the charge within 9-10 hours.
Will I be notified when the battery of my video doorbell is low?
Yes, you will receive an email reminder. The Ring app also has a low-battery indicator that you can check.
What if my video bell is stolen?
If they steal your smart bell, the ring company replaces it for you for free.
Which video bell transformers are compatible with ring?
Ring products are compatible with low voltage transformers that power home doorbell kits. You can connect it with a transformer that operates between 8V and 24V AC only.
DC transformers and Intercom systems are not compatible.
Must I turn off the power to my wired doorbell before installing ring?
It is unnecessary, however; it is advisable to avoid any potential risk.